Monday, October 8, 2012

DIY Peacock Costume!

So I embarked on a pretty big adventure. I wanted Ava to be a peacock for halloween...but I just wasn't satisfied with the costumes that I saw at the store and online. Then, my lovely sister, Chelsea suggested that I just make it. I found a few DIY ones on Pinterest and, since I've made tutus before, decided to give it a shot. Here's how I did it!

I bought three different colors of tule and used one color tule from her tutu that I made for her first birthday (carrying it on..aww :) ) I got one yard of each color green and two yards of the blue. I wound up having a ton left so I get to make more..Jodie and Cori look out for tutus! I also bought the peacock feathers (8 total). I had the flower clip on hand but bought the headband. I went to SAS fabrics because they are relatively cheaper than JoAnns, but if you don't live in Phoenix or have a wholesale fabric store of awesome-ness, then Jo Anns or Hobby Lobby will do :). I also used two crochet headbands from when Ava was younger (She doesn't wear them in her head for more than 20 seconds anymore).

I started by cutting out the tule. I wanted it to be a longer tutu so I measured the tule about 20 inches. Keep in mind that this will be folded in half for the tutu. 

Next, I took the two crochet headbands and sewed them together. I did this by hand, which wasn't very difficult:


After I had done this (and had to use my knee/leg because I tried it with a coat hanger and wound up sewing both sides together and had to start over), I then started tying the tule onto the headband. There are two ways to tie the knots. I used the first way, but either way is fine.



So I used two layers of tule. I doubled the blue with each piece of green alternating on the bottom and then alternated the two types of light green on the top. 




After I had finished the tule, then came the peacock feathers! I took the feathers and cut the stems down pretty short. I then sewed them into the crochet headband. Afterwards, I bent the stems down so that they wouldn't scratch Ava's skin. 


Afterwards, I sewed a few onto the front, and onto a flower clip so that I can clip it into her hair if she doesn't keep on the headband. The finished product is below:

I spent about $28 total for the costume. Score! The majority of the ones I saw were way more and I didn't like them so I am very happy that I tried it and succeeded :)

Stay classy :) and Happy Halloween!!



No comments:

Post a Comment