Sunday, October 7, 2012

DIY Spice Mixes!!

Recently, my husband was told that he had to cut down on his sodium intake. Now this might not sound like a huge deal, but it kind of is. Sodium is in everything, especially spice mixes. He isn't able to have any of that anymore. So I have had to make spice mixes instead of buying them. Now, I have found in the past few weeks that this isn't as hard as it seems. Plus, the taco seasoning that I created tastes better than the one you buy at the store, and it's with spices I already have, and no salt! Woohoo!!

So here are recipes for taco seasoning and italian seasoning...

Taco Seasoning (Adapted from All Recipes)

This recipe makes 1 ounce of Taco Seasoning.

1tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin (or cumino that my lovely friend Misty calls it :)
1tsp sea salt (but I didn't include this)
1tsp black pepper

Mix and use in place of the packets :)

Italian Seasoning Mix (adapted from All Recipes as well)

2tbsp dried basil
2tbsp dried oregano
2tbsp dried rosemary
2tbsp dried marjoram
2tbsp dried cilantro 
2tbsp dried thyme
2tbsp dried savory (we didn't have this on hand so I didn't use it and it tasted just fine)
2tbsp red pepper flakes

Mix away! It tasted great :)

Stay classy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment